1. Entries for the Bare Fiction Prize must be in English, your own unaided work, and not a translation of another writer. Entries must not have been previously published or self-published, in print or online, or have won a prize in another competition. The maximum length of any entry MUST NOT EXCEED:
Flash Fiction: 500 words
Short Story: 3000 words
Poetry: 40 lines
2. Your name and address must not appear on the pieces entered, nor any other marks that could identify you. If entering by post, enter the title of each flash fiction, story or poem on the entry form, or the first line for untitled work. Photocopies of the form are acceptable. Online entry will be available via our website: www.barefictionmagazine.co.uk/competitions
3. Postal entries must be typed or written clearly in black on white A4 paper or US letter size, and on one side of the paper only.
4. For works that are longer than one page, PLEASE DO NOT STAPLE PAGES TOGETHER. Use a paper clip to collate pages. Each piece will be judged separately on its own merits.
5. You may enter as many pieces as you wish, accompanied by the appropriate entry fee. For Bare Fiction Magazine subscribers the entry fees are reduced.
Flash Fiction Entries: £6 per entry / £4 for subscribers
Short Story Entries: £8 per entry / £6 for subscribers
Poetry Entries: £5 per entry / £3 for subscribers
You are also eligible for the lower entry fee if you take out a subscription now: see form for details. Entry fees must be in UK currency, and cheques/postal orders payable to BARE FICTION. Payment can also be made through a PayPal account to email@example.com
6. Your poem, flash fiction or short story must not have been previously published or placed (i.e. 1st, 2nd, 3rd) in any other prize or competition to be eligible for the Bare Fiction Prize 2018. You must notify us immediately if your work is shortlisted for another competition or accepted elsewhere and withdraw your entry.
7. The closing date is 31st October 2018. Postal entries must be received by the closing date to be eligible. Online entries can be placed until midnight GMT on 31st October 2018.
Winners will be notified by 10th January 2019; the first, second and third prizewinners will be published in the Spring 2019 issue of Bare Fiction Magazine and on the magazine’s website.
8. BARE FICTION will have the exclusive right to publish the winning and shortlisted entries for six months from first publication in BARE FICTION MAGAZINE and on the Bare Fiction website. After six months, the rights will revert to the authors, who may publish the pieces elsewhere so long as they appropriately credit BARE FICTION.
9. If you would like a receipt for your entry, send a small envelope marked receipt, self-addressed and stamped with UK postage, or enclosed with an international reply coupon. For a list of the winners and details of the awards reading, please enclose an envelope marked results, likewise stamped or with an IRC. The results will also be published on our website by 31st January 2019.
10. We are unable to return entries, so please don’t send your only copy. We will not enter into any correspondence about entries, or make changes to entries received. Incomplete submissions will not be accepted. The judges’ decisions will be final. Your entry in the competition means you accept these rules.
We will abide by good practice in the running of this competition, but cannot be held responsible for circumstances beyond our control such as failure of postal delivery or inability for anyone to acces our website services. Should the named judge be unable to proceed in any category, we aim to find an alternative judge of equivalent standing as an author/poet. Prizes may be withheld or altered if we receive no outstanding entries, or insufficient entries.
If you enter by post and wish to pay via PayPal, please include a transaction ref. number (or other proof) with your entry.
For postal entries, send the form with your competition entries to:
Bare Fiction Prize
177 Copthorne Road, Shrewsbury
Shropshire SY3 8NA
FREE ENTRY FOR UK & IRELAND LOW INCOME WRITERS
BARE FICTION is offering free entry to the Bare Fiction Prize for 50 low income writers. If you are a low income writer and would like to apply for free entry, please follow the below application guidelines. We will receive applications for free entries for 2 weeks via an online form, from Wednesday July 18th 2018 until Tuesday July 31st 2018. BARE FICTION will grant eligible applicants free entry on a first come first-served basis.
More free entries are now being offered due to our Free Entry Fund. Please spread the word.
FREE ENTRY TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Free entry for the Bare Fiction Prize is offered to UK & Ireland based writers who are on a low income – for example receiving benefits such as Job Seeker’s Allowance, Working Tax Credits, Universal Credit, Disability Living Allowance (or PIP), Carer’s Allowance, and Employment and Support Allowance, or those who are earning less than the London Living Wage of £9.45 per hour.
*Please only apply for free entry if you would not otherwise be able to enter.
To apply, please visit the competition pages of the website and click on the FREE ENTRY APPLICATION link. This will take you to our Submittable submission system where you will be asked for the following information:
• Your full name
• Your email address
• Your postal address
• A short written statement describing how you are eligible for free entry under these terms and conditions
• Which category you would like to apply for
Eligible applicants will be granted free entry on a first-come first-served basis; all applicants will be informed whether or not their applications are successful by Friday August 10th 2018. Applications cannot be submitted before the opening date or after the closing date.
Only one free entry will be granted per applicant.
Applicants must wait to see if their application is successful before entering the Bare Fiction Prize; BARE FICTION will not grant refunds on already paid-for entries.PRIZE