1. Entries for the Bare Fiction Prize must be in English, your own unaided work, and not a translation of another writer. Entries must not have been previously published or self-published, in print or online, or have won a prize in another competition. The maximum length of any entry must be:
Flash Fiction: 500 words
Short Story: 3000 words
Poetry: 40 lines
2. Your name and address must not appear on the pieces entered, nor any other marks that could identify you. Enter the title of each flash fiction, story or poem on the entry form, or the first line for untitled work. Photocopies of the form are acceptable. Online entry will be available via our website: www.barefictionmagazine.co.uk
3. Postal entries must be typed or written clearly in black on white A4 paper or US letter size, and on one side of the paper only.
4. For works that are longer than one page, the complete work must NOT be stapled in the top left hand corner. Please use a paper clip. Please don’t staple work together. Each piece will be judged separately on its own merits.
5. You may enter as many pieces as you wish, accompanied by the appropriate entry fee. For Bare Fiction Magazine subscribers the entry fees are reduced.
Flash Fiction Entries: £6 per entry / £4 for subscribers
Short Story Entries: £8 per entry / £6 for subscribers
Poetry Entries: £5 per entry / £3 for subscribers
You are also eligible for the lower entry fee if you take out a subscription now: see form for details. Entry fees must be in UK currency, and cheques/postal orders payable to BARE FICTION Payment can also be made through a PayPal account to firstname.lastname@example.org
6. Your poem, flash fiction or short story must not have been previously published or placed in any other prize or competition to be eligible for the Bare Fiction Prize 2017. You must notify us immediately if your work is shortlisted for another competition or accepted elsewhere and withdraw your entry.
7. The closing date is 31st October 2017. Postal entries must be received by the closing date to be eligible. Online entries can be placed until midnight GMT on 31st October 2017.
Winners will be notified by 10th January 2018; the first, second and third prizewinners will be published in the Spring 2018 issue of Bare Fiction Magazine and on the magazine’s website. The prizes will be awarded at our launch reading in Birmingham in Spring 2018 (date to be confirmed). Copyright remains with the authors, but we reserve the right to publish the winning entries.
8. If you would like a receipt for your entry, send a small envelope marked receipt, self-addressed and stamped with UK postage, or enclosed with an international reply coupon. For a list of the winners and details of the awards reading, please enclose an envelope marked results, likewise stamped or with an IRC. The results will also be published on our website by 31st January 2018.
9. We are unable to return entries, so please don’t send your only copy. We will not enter into any correspondence about entries, or make changes to entries received. Incomplete submissions will not be accepted. The judges’ decisions will be final. Your entry in the competition means you accept these rules. We will abide by good practice in the running of this competition, but cannot be held responsible for circumstances beyond our control such as failure of postal delivery. Should the named judge be unable to proceed in any category, we aim to find an alternative judge of equivalent standing as an author/poet. Prizes may be withheld or altered if we receive no outstanding entries, or insufficient entries.
If you enter by post and wish to pay via PayPal, please include a transaction ref. number (or other proof) with your entry.
For postal entries, send the form with your competition entries to:
Bare Fiction Prize
177 Copthorne Road, Shrewsbury
Shropshire SY3 8NAPRIZE